If I were to blog for money, I would have gone broke a long time ago :-), but I do accept ads for the different sites I manage.
They pay for the costs of hosting the sites, subscriptions to different Internet services and for the tools I use. Whatever is left over, I invest in microfinance projects for the developing world.
I take blogging seriously and with pride, trying to serve my readers' community. Since we started the blog projects in January 2007, our readership steadily increased. All sites together get about 60,000 unique visits per month. The Road to the Horizon, my main blog, has 12,000-15,000 visitors/month. Humanitarian News, my main aggregator now gets about 30,000 unique visitors/per month.
What ads do I take?
I take any ads as long as they are not advertising adult, illegal or clearly dubious content.
Which sites do I manage?
Here are the different sites I manage, indicating their Google Page Rank (PR) as of March 1, 2011:
- The Road to the Horizon (PR5) the main blog
- Have Impact! (PR4): Our social project
- Humanitarian News (PR2): Mega nonprofit news aggregator
- The Signs Along the Road (PR4): my clips
- The Other World News (PR4): Aid News aggregator
- AidBlogs (PR4): aidworker blogs
- AidNews (PR4): aid news
- Change Thru Info (PR4): aid aggregator
- BlogTips (PR4): blogging tips
- Verslaafd aan de Horizon (PR2): eBook in Dutch
- De Weg naar de Horizon (PR4): Random clips in Dutch
- Ander Nieuws (PR4): Aid News aggregator in Dutch
- Scribbles (PR4): my notorious writings
- My House on the Road (PR4): my home page
- You and Us and Me (PR4): Green News aggregator
- The NonProfit Blogs (PR4): NonProfit Blogs aggregator
- Shot from the Hip (PR4): Pictures from "life around me"
- The NonProfit Press (PR4): nonprofit press releases
- Aid Resources (PR4): latest articles from aid reference sites
- News on Green (PR4): latest articles about the environment
- The Weird Bit on Tumblr (new domain - expected PR4): weird news on Tumblr
- AidNews on Tumblr (New! expected PR3): aid news on Tumblr
- NonProfitBlogs on Tumblr (PR3): nonprofit blog aggregator on Tumblr
- Aidworker blogs on Tumblr (New! expected PR3): blogs by aidworkers on Tumblr
- Blogging news on Tumblr (New! expected PR3): blognews aggregator on Tumblr
- News on Green Collector (PR4):environmental news
- The Nonprofit Blogs (PR4): latest nonprofit blogs' headlines.
- The World of NonProfit (PR4): latest nonprofit news
Where are the ads placed?
Dependent on the blog layouts, the ads are either put in the side column or at the bottom.
I don't use pop-ups, Flash, animated GIFs or other intrusive methods of advertising. Ads are clearly marked with a "Site Supporter" header. To separate ads from the blogs' contents, I don't embed ads within the blogposts, and don't write pseudo reviews about advertised products or services.
How long do the ads run?
The ads are prepaid and run for one year minimum, after which they can be renewed.
What are the rates?
The rates have remained the same in the past years. They differ dependent on the number of sites you advertise on. Contact me via peter (at) theroadtothehorizon (dot) org for the current price list.
How does this normally work?
- a potential sponsor contacts me, we agree the rates (dependent on the formula the sponsor wants).
- the sponsor sends me a text, with the links.
- I edit these into an ad, and put them up on the site, as a "draft".
- the sponsor pays via my Paypal account
- The sponsor can always change the ad during a running year.
- When the advertisement period is about to expire, I contact the sponsor for renewal. Every sponsor is free to extend or terminate their ads after a year.