Enrico, a fellow aidworker in South Sudan, wrote several short stories on The Road.
He just told me this story:
I was waiting for a convoy to come back from Panyagor to Bor town, the capital city of Jonglei State in South Sudan. The convoy comprising of two 4x4 Landcruisers arrived at the compound. One of the vehicles was badly damaged.
I approached one of the drivers and asked him how the journey was.
- “Very bad”, the driver replied.
- “What happened?”, I asked.
- “A python capsized my vehicle”, the driver continued in half English.
- “How big could it have been?”
- “Very big, indeed”, he concluded and entered his tent.
In French, they say "Les excuses sont faits pour s'en servir"... If you want to find an excuse for something, you can always find one.
Picture courtesy Ulrik Pedersen