Loyal readers like yourself (ahum) will have noticed it immediately (ahum): I had time on my hands. And fiddled around with loads of things on "The Road to the Horizon", preparing to celebrate "The Road - One Year After". :-)
Here are the latest new features on The Road:
- To ease social bookmarking, I added a new icon under each post. It makes it easier for the reader to link to that post using IE Favorites, Digg, Facebook, Del.icio.us, My Yahoo, Newsvine, Technorati, etc... There is also a new "ADD THIS" icon in the 'Subscription, Feeds and Tools' tab in the right column. That one is linking to the home page of "The Road".
- I updated the links to other interesting blogs in the right column, and split them up in different groups. I did my best to be selective and to only include blogs with good stories and pictures, giving a feel for the place or the work the person does. Have a read! If you come across any other interesting blogs about aid work, travelling, adventure, remote places, drop me an email at peter(dot)casier(at)pandora(dot)be, or just make a comment below a post...
- As I continue to get a lot of questions via email about aid work, and "How do I become an aidworker?", I included a new tab in the right column with interesting links to related to aid work, and life as an aidworker.
- I added more details on traffic to this site (where visitors come from, what pages they read etc..), and statistics on sites linking to "The Road". I put them on the bottom of the side column, so they do not disturb the main flow.
- I re-arranged the Ebook short stories in a more chronological order. If you hover over each short story, it now shows the country the story is about.
- As the tag list for the posts was getting quite long, I put it in a scrollable frame. Saves space.
- I updated and added more Blogger's tips and tricks.
- I revisited several short stories, edited them and changed some pictures.. All new and updated short stories are marked as such.
- I re-edited all news stories. From now on, news postings only have the prefix "News" in the title, and carry the tag "News Item". No more News Roundups.
- As I can not keep up with the interesting news stories people send to me, I post more in my Newsvine space. The articles which are relevant to aid work, you can find back in the "International Aid Workers Group" on Newsvine.
- I updated the my book library and added the latest books I am reading. You can find it under the tab "Need Inspiration: My Books". The widget shows only a random grab of 10 books from my library, reselected each time you refresh the page.
As you can see, I continuously try to make "The Road" better, more interesting, easier to read and faster to access. I have some questions for you, dear reader (leave a comment below this post):
- Is the download speed of the page acceptable? (I am trying to find a good automatic picture compressing tool, but I mostly worried about the time the widgets in the right column take to run when loading a page...)
- Do you ever look at anything in the right column?
- Any features you like/dislike/would like see add?